Skip to content

Window on Cecil County's Past

Reflections on Yesterday — Cecil County History

Menu
  • Home
  • About
  • Genealogy
  • Archive
  • Links
  • Shore Blogging
Menu

Memorial Obituaries Moore, Tech. Sgt. Hugh F.

Posted on November 8, 2014 by admin

Memorial Obituaries Moore, Tech. Sgt. Hugh F..

Tech. Sgt. Hugh F. Moore

The remains of Technical Sergeant Hugh Francis Moore, who was missing in action for more than 70 years after his plane was shot down in World War II, will be coming home for burial with full military honors. Born in Elkton, MD, in 1908, son of the late Edward and Emma Louise Scarborough Moore, Tech. Sgt. Moore was 36 years old when his plane went down and he was killed in action.

His family is thrilled to honor his homecoming, his memory and his distinguished service to his country.

Tech. Sgt. Moore was a graduate of Kenmore High School and Goldey Business College in Wilmington, DE. He was employed at the Kenmore Paper Mill and by the Elkton Supply Company when he was inducted into the Army in July, 1942.

On April 10, 1944, Tech. Sgt. Moore and 11 other B-24D Liberator crew members took off from Texter Strip, Nazdab Air Field, New Guinea, on a mission to attack an anti-aircraft site at Hansa Bay. The aircraft was shot down by enemy anti-aircraft fire over the Madang Province, New Guinea.

Following World War II, the Army Graves Registration Service (AGRS) conducted investigations and recovered the remains of three of the missing airmen from the plane, nicknamed “Hot Garters”. In May, 1949, AGRS concluded the remaining nine crew members were unrecoverable.

In 2001, a U.S.-led team located wreckage of a B-24D that bore the tail number of this aircraft. After several surveys, the Joint POW/MIA Accounting Command (JPAC) teams excavated the site and recovered human remains, Tech. Sgt. Moore’s among them. In the ensuing years, military officials used forensic testing to identify his remains.

One of nine children, he preceded his eight siblings in death: Charles Stanley Moore, Mary Louise Moore, Jane Wilamina Moore Warrington, William Joseph Moore, Walter Scarborough Moore, John Harvey Moore, Emma Letitia Moore Worrilow, and Albert Vernon Moore.

Tech. Sgt. Moore is memorialized in the Tablets of the Missing in the Manila American Cemetery, Manila, Philippines. It is anticipated he will be memorialized in a forthcoming group burial at Arlington National Cemetery for all crew members on his plane.

His parents placed a memorial marker in the Cherry Hill Methodist Cemetery after he was declared “missing in action” by the U.S. Army Air Forces. He will be buried on Veterans Day in the plot the stone has marked for nearly 70 years.

Funeral service will be held at 11 a.m., Tuesday, November 11, 2014, at Hicks Home for Funerals, 103 W. Stockton St., Elkton, MD, where visitation will begin at 10 a.m. Interment with full military honors will follow the service in Cherry Hill Methodist Cemetery, Cherry Hill, MD.

Leave a Reply Cancel reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *

Welcome to the blog

Welcome to a Window on Cecil County’s past. On this blog, you will find posts on the history of Cecil County, both old and modern, and the personal stories of the people, first and secondhand.

For more information on this blog click here

To visit my main website click here

Recent Comments

  • Julie on A Terrible Plane Crash—And Two Stories, 50-Plus Years Apart
  • admin on Witness to Invasion: Ambrose Serle’s Account of the British Invasion of Cecil County
  • admin on Prison for Runaways on Bohemia Manor
  • admin on Red Point Beach
  • William Linde on Cecil County’s World War II Generation Remembered in Oral History Project

Pages

  • About
  • Cecil County Genealogy
  • Cecil County History & Genealogy Archive
  • Links
  • Shore Blogging
  • Spanish Flu Archive

Archives

My Websites & Blogs

Mike Dixon’s Professional Website

Mike’s Blog About the Professional Practice of Public History

Reflections on Delmarva’s Past

Meta

  • Register
  • Log in
  • Entries feed
  • Comments feed
  • WordPress.org
© 2026 Window on Cecil County's Past | Powered by Superbs Personal Blog theme