Today Cecil County is divided into nine minor political subdivisions called election districts (EDs). But in the earliest times, the equivalent intra-county areas were known as hundreds.
Hundreds in Cecil County
The hundreds of Cecil County (Genealogical Research Guide for Cecil County, Maryland by Darlene Mcall & Lorraine Alexander, map drawn by John Livezey)
Having its origin in Saxon history, the name was derived from the concept of having a territory that could provide a hundred men to serve in the militia. In the colony, it was used as an administrative area for local government management, which included the work of tax assessors and the appointment of constables. In 1798 the General Assembly enacted a law requiring the division of the then nineteen counties of Maryland into EDs in the place of the antiquated hundred. Cecil County was divided into four EDs in 1800.
We often get questions about the general location of those early civil units, especially the hundreds. Darlene McCall and Lorraine Alexander produced the best reference to answer that question several decades ago. They published a most helpful title, the “Genealogical Research Guide for Cecil County, Maryland.” It included a map drawn by Jon Harlan Livezy, which showed the fully developed system of hundreds in Cecil County in the late 1700s.
Produced long before the digital revolution helped open up access to traces of the past, this particular title has been out of print for several years. But it has always been a helpful source for anyone researching Cecil County families and topics. We occasionally consult our copy for insights shared by these excellent researchers and genealogists.
The nine EDs of Cecil County are the minor political subdivisions of the County. Their evolution from the original four districts created in 1800 to the present nine was legislated as follows:
Creation of Election Districts
In 1800, the county was divided into four election districts.
• 1800 — Four Election Districts established
• 1835 — Seven election districts laid out
• 1852 — An eighth district, Conowingo, created
• 1857 — A ninth district (Calvert), the last district, was created.
For some 165 years now, the nine districts have remained largely unchanged. With this data as a reference, it is possible to locate the general area where a person lived if the hundred or election district is known.
For additional illustrations on the election districts See this album on Facebook
As we endure the oppressive heat of July, we’ve been examining the old ice dealers of Cecil County. Following our earlier posts on this subject, a reader asked how Howard’s Pond on East Main Street at the Big Elk Creek got its name.
Here’s a little more information on this.
Jacob A. Howard decided to build an ice pond on his meadow at the east end of town in 1867, and the project was completed in December. While the principal purpose was to provide an annual supply of ice, the pond also made a fine skating park, providing a “long-needed place of amusement for the young folks in winter,” the Whig reported.
Skating on Howard’s Pond sometime in the Winter around the 1950s or 1960s
Over the next few months, he filled his ice house so that when the season of “annual scarcity arrived,” Elkton was well supplied with the sought-after commodity. When the harvest wasn’t underway, it could be used for skating. “The juveniles have been looking over the banks of the new park with wistful eyes on the broadsheet of glassy ice and hope Mr. Howard gets that ice house filled when the embargo on their skating upon it would be removed,“ the paper observed that winter.
At the time of Jacob’s death in February 1901, the Whig noted: “Mr. Howard was extensively engaged in the ice business in Elkton and only five days before his death had finished filling his large ice house at the east end of town.”
After he passed, Harry George and Andrew Rambo purchased the ice business from his widow, the Whig reported on Nov. 8, 1902. In 1911, it was reported that Andrew Rambo sold his ice supply business to Henry H. Mitchell (Cecil Whig, Jan 28, 1911)
Much later in the 20th century, the Town of Elkton acquired Howard’s Pond. Then in the decades after World War II, it was used for ice skating in the winter.
(Source: photo Rodney Frazer Collection at the Historial Society of Cecil County)
As the nation marked the 78th anniversary of D-Day on June 6, we paged through newspapers and listened to broadcasts to see how Cecil County stayed informed as allied troops fought on the beaches of Normandy. Those critical late spring days in 1944 marked the start of the campaign to liberate Western Europe from Nazi Germany.
Allies land in France. The front page of the Journal Every Evening in Wilmington on D-Day, June 6, 1944
Radio Flashes Alerted the County
Once people awoke that Tuesday morning, great unease settled in as they heard the news. During the wee hours of the night, General Dwight D. Eisenhower took to the airwaves to announce that the invasion had started. After that, broadcast journalists delivered periodic updates as people worried that Elkton’s National Guard Unit was in the thick of the fighting. Word spread quickly on that June morning as people stirred, families anxiously huddling around radios hour after hour, listening for bulletins.
Later that day, churches held special D-Day services, and President Franklin D. Roosevelt delivered a prayer on the networks. In charge of the Elkton services, Rev. John J. Bunting of the Methodist Church prayed for the safety of sons, husbands, and neighbors on the frontline, the Democrat reported 1.
Meanwhile, editors of city newspapers in Philadelphia and Baltimore scrambled to put out special editions and update afternoon papers. When they arrived at train stations and newsstands, people snapped them up.
As the fighting stretched into days, parents whose “boys” were on the battlefront listened most intensely to broadcasts. But all across the county, no one wanted to leave the radio. 2.
One soldier, from a foxhole somewhere in France, dashed off a hasty letter, Sgt. Donald S. Preston of North East told his family that he and his brother were O.K. It arrived in North East on June 133
County Newspaper Struggled to Provide Local Context
Betholine-Richfield Gas Stations provided D-Day maps. (Cecil Whig, June 8, 1944)
The county weeklies struggled to provide the local angle. In those early days, hometown news from the front was scarce so papers offered up a few lines of reassuring editorial matter. For example, a Whig columnist noted that these two days would go down in history – Dec. 7, 1941, with the attack on Pearl Harbor and June 6, 1944, the invasion. Now “we need two more days of note – Surrender of Hitler and the wiping out of Japanese,” the writer added. 4
Many Cecil County boys were with the 29th division invading France, the Whig informed readers. “They are on the firing line driving inland. It will be tough going as the days lengthen into weeks and the weeks into months. Parents are on the anxious bench. . .”5
On June 24, over two weeks after the invasion began, the Democrat had some news directly from the front. Sgt. Charles D. Racine had been slightly wounded in action in France.
Rough Going For Cecil County Soldiers
As those difficult days stretched to weeks of intense combat, the going was rough for the 29th Division, and four Cecil County families received sad news. Their sons had been killed. Staff Sgt. Charles T. Creighton of North East was killed in France on June 18, just weeks after receiving the Silver Medal “for gallantry and heroism.” The 24-year-old was with the 29th Division, Company E. 115th infantry when he was killed somewhere in France. He was 24.6
The efforts of the troops deserved to be remembered and honored on D-Day. More than 4,400 allied soldiers, including these four men from Cecil County, lost their lives on D-D Day. Many more were wounded.
Back the Attack, an ad sponsored by the National Magnesium Corporation of Maryland (Cecil Democrat, June 22, 1944, Elkton)
For More on the 29th Division
For more on Cecil County’s World War II generation, see the Historical Society’s “Cecil’s Soldiers: Stories from the World War II” Generation. The author is Jenifer Dolde. The central story follows the men of Company E of the Maryland National Guard, who met at the Elkton Armory and were federalized following the attack on Pearl Harbor in 1941. While some of the men went on to serve as paratroopers and specialists, a core group battled their way from Normandy to St. Lo to Brest and finally to Bremen at the end of the war.
Endnotes
D-day services held, Cecil Democrat, June 10, 1944[↩]
“D-Day Services Held,” Cecil Democrat, June 10, 1944[↩]
“Home and Abroad With Our Men on Land and Sea,” Cecil Democrat, July 1, 1944[↩]
“Comments,” ((“Comments,” Cecil Whig, June 8, 1944[↩]
Since the nation crossed a grim milestone of one million covid deaths on May 13, 2022, we are examining how the toll from this pandemic compares to the influenza outbreak of 1918-19 in Cecil County.
COVID-19
The first COVID-19 case was identified in Cecil County on March 20, 2020, and the first virus-related death on March 31, 2020, according to the Health Department. Over the ensuing 26-months, the mortality count has ticked upward, the disease taking 259 lives as of May 20, 2022.1 This results in 2.51 COVID-19 deaths per 1,000 people since the county has a population of nearly 104,000..2
Influenza Pandemic of 1918-19
One-hundred-four years earlier another mysterious pathogen ripped across Cecil County. This time about 23,000 people lived here as reports of cases trickled in slowly in early September 1918. But the virus pummeled the county by the end of the month, taking a major deadly toll.
The first influenza cases involved 17-year-old Edith E. Gorrell on September 18, 1918, and her 15-year-old sister Irene on September 20. The young girls, the daughters of James Gorrell of North East, worked at a catsup canning factory in Newark that autumn. After becoming infected, they returned home to North East.3
Cecil County Death Count 1913 – 1920
Once the pathogen exploded locally, many residents became gravely ill, and an appalling number of deaths occurred. By the end of 1918, Cecil County had recorded 158 excess deaths, a 44 percent increase in mortality over the previous six-year average. But the virus kept Maryland in its clutches with another concentrated wave in the winter of 1919. Over that frosty season, the county reported 28 excess deaths, an increase of eight percent. This metric, excess deaths, measures how many lives were lost beyond what would have been expected.
During the time the novel pathogen raged across the county in 1918-19, a rough indicator is that of these 186 excess deaths 163 were directly attributed to influenza or pneumonia. This gave the county a virus-related death rate of about 7.1 per 1,000 people and an overall death rate of 22.4 for all causes in 1918 and 16.8 in 1919. For the six-year average before 1918, the annual mortality rate was 15.64
Comparison
While it is difficult to estimate the precise toll of the disease over 100-years-ago, the excess deaths above the expected mortality level provide one measure for assessing suddenly shiting health outcomes. The county recorded 163 excess deaths when the population stood at just over 23,000.
Comparing events that occurred more than a century apart has its perils. For example, the population of Cecil County in 1918 was about twenty-two percent of what it is today, meaning that influenza cut a much bigger, lethal swath through the county in a short, concentrated period of a few months. In terms of the raw mortality count, COVID-19 has taken more lives than the influenza pandemic did, but the population is far larger. From 1918 to 1919, there were 163 excess deaths. Thus far, in 2022, there have been 259 COVID-related deaths and the data on excess deaths has not been developed. In 1918-19, the death rate for influenza-related cases was about 7.08 cases per 1,000 people, while the rate for the current pandemic is 2.49.
Measure
1918-19
2020-Present
Excess Deaths
186
TBD
Virus-Related
163
259
Total Deaths
902
TBD
Virus-Related Death Rate pre/1000
7.08
2.49
County Population
23,009
103,905
Estimate of Key Death Metric Comparing COVID-19 with the influenza pandemic of 1918-19
Endnotes
Cecil County Reports First Coronavrius Death, Delaware Business Journal, April 1, 2020[↩]
Annual Report of the State Board of Health of Maryland for the year ending December 31, 1918, Table 8, Birth Rates, Death Rates, and Rate of Increase in 1918, p 9[↩]
In the middle third of the 20th century, many Cecil County towns had theaters. One of those enjoyable places was the “Cecil,” the Cecilton theatre, where nightly shows (except Sundays) were offered in air-conditioned comfort on a beautiful, wide-screen.
The theater had been built as a school, but the property became surplus property once the George Biddle High School, opened. So the School Board sold the structure to James D. and Catherine Stradley for $3,100 in 1944. After they remodeled and renovated the facility, one-half was converted into a hardware store and the other side become a movie house.1
Their work included installing 35-millimeter projectors, theatre seating, and air conditioning. In the Feb. 14, 1948, edition of the Cecil Democrat an advertisement said the “Cecil Threatre” with the finest in motion pictures and best in sound was opening very soon.2
The curtain went up for the inaugural screening on Monday, Feb. 23, 1948, as Black Gold entertained an excited audience from throughout the lower part of the county. After that, the marquee advertised first-run shows for moviegoers.
Robert Moore operated the hardware store and John Deere business on the other side. About 1961, the Gerhart family purchased the hardware business, along with the building from Mr. Stradley and the lights went out as the Cecilton Theatre closed.3
The Cecilton Theatre, the Cecilton arond 1960 (Source: Cecil Whig, Jan. 28, 1976)
For Additional Photos of the Cecilton Theatre see this album on Facebook
Endnotes
Mary Haggerty, “Cecilton: Chronicles of a Small Town in America,[↩]
Someone recently asked us about the old hotel in Warwick, and we promised to share some information about the Gillespie House.
In the 19th century, Warwick was a lively place with several merchants taking care of the trade from nearby Cecil County farms. One of those businesses was Samuel Gillespie’s Hotel. In 1868, the Middletown Transcript noted that it was a “fine, large building, capable of accommodating a larger number of persons.” His table was spread with luxuries of the season and the bar was well supplied with choice wines and liquors. In connection with the hotel, there was a half-mile racetrack.
The native of Lancaster County, PA died on Aug 6, 1889, according to his obituary in the Cecil Whig. After clerking in a store in Conowingo, he came to Warwick in 1857 and opened the hotel, which he kept until 1886. The Whig also noted in 1861, that Gillespie had just finished and was occupying his new hotel in Warwick. According to the 1858 atlas, this replaced an older hotel.
Cecil County once had many thriving villages, each with a cluster of homes, a few shopkeepers and tradesmen, a schoolhouse, a physician, and almost everything one needed for daily life. While most of these places continued into the 21st century as residential communities, they no longer hummed with enterprising commercial activity the way they did in the past.
We recently visited one of those places, Bay View, once a bustling village in the center of the county. It was ideally situated in an area of fine farms, abundant harvests, access to the two major railroads, and nearby mills.
The village was initially called Shelemiah, a scriptural reference in the Old Testament. The first Methodist Church, the Shelemiah Methodist Church, was built there around 1830. The present church was built in 1879 1
Later generations were not entirely satisfied with the ancient name of the place so they sought a new one. They finally agreed upon the name Bay View, as from elevated points in the village there was a magnificent view of the head of the Chesapeake Bay and the North East River.
A postcard of the Methodist Church at Bay View, circa 1914 (source: personal collection)
A post office opened in Shelemiah on Aug. 7, 1851, and the postmaster was Elihu B. Hall. On Aug. 25, 1856, the name was changed to Bay View. The office closed in Bay View on March 31, 1903. 2.
There were a number of enterprises in the village. Joseph T. Reed & Son were merchants in the community in 1893, according to the Star, They had been doing business in Bay View for 35 years. The Providence Woolen Mill owned by John F. Johnson produced a fine grade of bed blankets, horse blankets, cassimere’s, flannels, jeans, and yards. It had been erected in 1841 and had always been in the Johnson Family.3
Gilpin Falls flouring and grist mill was built in 1844 by John Patridge. He was succeeded by Coopers, who still owned the place. The mill excelled at brands of flour and feed.
Gilpin’s Rock, one of the most beautiful spots in the county, was a favorite picnic and resort spot during the summer months. A. T. Tyson was the village blacksmith and wheelwright. William Gamble’s cider mill was another attraction, especially for the thirsty types. The capacity of the mill was about 2,000 gallons per day. The gravel pit was owned by Matthew Russell
Sixty people lived in Bay View in 1882 (Peninsula Directory). The businesses included a stonemason, cooper, shoemaker, carpenters, auctioneer, millers, a music teacher, tobacconist, general store, a hotel and a blacksmith 4.
During January 1961, a Cecil Whig photographer visited the village and noted that the State Roads Commission has spelled the time’s name two ways. When entering the town from the south it was Bayview, while on approaching from Zion to the north it was Bay View.5
Harford Community College is offering a talk and continuing education course on the Chesapeake and Delaware Canal. It involves three sessions starting on May 5, 2022, at 1:30 p.m.. The first is a classroom lecture and that is followed by two field trips to towns along the C & D Canal. The course is presented by Mike Dixon.
The Chesapeake and Delaware Canal has fascinating stories to be told. Along the 14 miles of the nearly 200-year-old waterway, every town and village, every lock and bridge, and every camp spot used by Union soldiers during the Civil War contributed to the engaging narrative. Discover the role that mule-drawn barges, locks, steamboats, and changing methods of transportation played in the evolving history of the Canal and the region.
For additional information on the C & D Canal talk and registration, click this link
(2022 Rodgers Tavern Museum Virtual Spring Lecture)
Description:
“Life in the Past Lane” examines the role of Perryville and the Rodgers Tavern as an important transportation hub from the colonial era to the 20th Century. Join us in this engaging program as we journey into the past lane, examining the unique stories and characters of the Lower Susquehanna River, the local ferries, and the old colonial road still carrying traffic past the Tavern and the bridges. This presentation includes many seldom-seen photos, which will help us consider the tavern’s role in developing the broader community. So be sure to join us as we consider important history in your neighborhood.
FREE LECTURE ONLINE ONLY Advanced Registration RequiredTime
Apr 23, 2022, 06:30 PM
Click here for register for the Rodgers Tavern Museum virtual program
The nation was deeply saddened and shocked when news flashed around the world that President Roosevelt had died of a cerebral hemorrhage at the Little White House in Sulfur Springs, Georgia, on April 12, 1945. The president’s body was transported by train from Georgia to Washington, D.C., for a state funeral. Afterward, the fallen leader’s body was placed aboard a Pennsylvania Railroad funeral train for the last trip to the final resting place at Hyde Park, New York.
The Cecil Democrat headline announced the death of President Roosevelt on April 14, 1945.
The train rolled slowly through the countryside at 35 miles per hour, and the coaches entered Harford County as Saturday night gave way to Sunday Morning (around midnight). Despite threatening weather and occasional light rain, a spontaneous crowd had gathered along the right-of-way at stations in Harford in Cecil counties.
In Havre de Grace, people began gathering at the station around 11 p.m., the Havre de Grace Record reported, and by midnight, a large crowd waited solemnly. The Congressional Special, carrying members of Congress, officials, and security personnel, chugged by Havre de Grace at about 12:15 a.m.
The long, dark train carrying the president’s body passed the station at 12:30 a.m. As it loomed slowly out of the midnight darkness, a sudden hush came over the people. Military police, shore patrol, and ten members of the Senior Patrol of Troop 337, Boys Scouts, with the railroad police, acted as an honor guard at the Havre de Grace Station.
Chief of Police Walker, Officer Bullock, and the entire Havre de Grace Police Department, along with Mayor Lawder, were on hand. Also, a detail of regular army men from Aberdeen Proving Ground policed all streets and approaches to the railroad station and tracks.
At the Perryville Station, the crowd sadly peered into the deep gloom of the unusually dark night, looking toward the Susquehanna River. Soon the locomotive’s light pierced the night, as the train crossed the bridge. The engineer on this run was a former Perryville resident, Clemson (Cotton) Body. He piloted the train from Washington D.C. to New York, where it was switched over from Pennsylvania to the New York Central for Hyde Park, the President’s final resting place. On this route, another engineer completed the trip.
People waited at the Perryville Train Station for President Roosevelt’s Funeral Train (source: personal collection)
The cars passed through Elkton at 12:45 on Sunday Morning (April 15). Over 1,000 people crowding the station platform and nearby tracks “watched with bowed heads the last ride of the President over this route.” Military police were stationed on the two twin bridges in Elkton, prohibiting anyone from viewing the train from that angle. Also, on the train escorting the remains of the wartime leader was the new President, Harry S. Truman. “All lights on the train were extinguished except for the coach in which rested the body of the late president, the Cecil Whig reported. In the crowd at Elkton were many workers from Triumph.
Out of respect for President Franklin Delano Roosevelt, crowds of people gathered all along the way in Harford and Cecil counties to honor the deceased executive. Before the train came the crowd waited under threatening sky and light drizzle, keeping an eye on the northbound tracks. At each station, the special slowed and after it passed they left quickly and silently.