Skip to content

Window on Cecil County's Past

Reflections on Yesterday — Cecil County History

Menu
  • Home
  • About
  • Genealogy
  • Archive
  • Links
  • Shore Blogging
Menu

Camp Meeting, a Summertime Event

Posted on August 20, 2021August 20, 2021 by admin

One of the highlights of August for many people living in Cecil County in the decades around the turn of the twentieth century was the annual Woodlawn Camp Meeting. For two weeks in the heat and humidity of summer, many families vacationed there, escaping the chores of farm life, socializing, and listening to worship services.

Established by the Methodist Episcopal Church in 1871, the encampment continued for more than 42 years, annually drawing people to the cool shade of the grove. It was located on what is now called Camp Meeting Ground Road near Woodlawn on a 15-acre grove of tall timbers, which was purchased from F. Marion Rawlings and Theodore J. Vanneman.


There were two long avenues of tents extending on either side of the wooden tabernacle, where a pavilion for preachers and benches were located. While most campers resided in tents there were a few frame structures, such as the boarding tent and ice cream and confectionery stand.


The local Methodist ministers took charge of the camp, and it was their duty to provide preaching talent throughout the week. From morning to evening, there was preaching, praising, and fellowship. Of course, there was an active choir, supplemented by a fiddle and a coronet. “The old hymns of the church were sung lustily and with great fervor,” the Cecil Democrat reported.


The camp meeting also played an important social role. The young people met to promenade up and down the avenues on those hot, sticky August nights. Hopefully, they caught a gentle breeze as they stopped at the picture gallery for photographs or at the ice cream stand for refreshments. Many of the campers resided in tents, but there were two frame cottages.


The boarding tent, and ice cream and confectionery stand were also frame. The boarding tent was under the management of “Uncle Al Boyd,” a former baggage master on the railroad and a former sheriff. The camp bell called camp goers for meals and meetings and the “never failing pump” was a popular spot. With the arrival of the automobile and the accessibility of attractions at greater distances, camp days waned.


The annual camp meeting went out of style in Cecil County in 1913. The ground was sold by receivers in 1915.


* * * * * *Sources & Notes

* The Historical Marker Database — Woodlawn Camp Meeting https://www.hmdb.org/marker.asp?marker=24111 ** At the Head of the Bay: A Cultural & Architectural History of Cecil County* Period articles in the Cecil Democrat and the Cecil Whig

Woodlawn Camp Meeting
A long avenue of tents extended on both sides of the tabernacle at the Woodlawn Camp Meeting. (photo credit: Mike Dixon)

For additional photos of Woodlawn Camp Meeting as this album on Facebook

Leave a Reply Cancel reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *

Welcome to the blog

Welcome to a Window on Cecil County’s past. On this blog, you will find posts on the history of Cecil County, both old and modern, and the personal stories of the people, first and secondhand.

For more information on this blog click here

To visit my main website click here

Recent Comments

  • Julie on A Terrible Plane Crash—And Two Stories, 50-Plus Years Apart
  • admin on Witness to Invasion: Ambrose Serle’s Account of the British Invasion of Cecil County
  • admin on Prison for Runaways on Bohemia Manor
  • admin on Red Point Beach
  • William Linde on Cecil County’s World War II Generation Remembered in Oral History Project

Pages

  • About
  • Cecil County Genealogy
  • Cecil County History & Genealogy Archive
  • Links
  • Shore Blogging
  • Spanish Flu Archive

Archives

My Websites & Blogs

Mike Dixon’s Professional Website

Mike’s Blog About the Professional Practice of Public History

Reflections on Delmarva’s Past

Meta

  • Register
  • Log in
  • Entries feed
  • Comments feed
  • WordPress.org
© 2026 Window on Cecil County's Past | Powered by Superbs Personal Blog theme